The transition from middle school to high school can be grueling. With increased responsibilities, higher expectations, and more difficult classes, many students are initially discouraged and fearful of the future. However, there’s no need to fret. Many students undergo this process and we’re here to help! Remember, your work in high school largely determines your future; thus, you should utilize all resources and tricks available to help you succeed academically.
Tricks for academic success:
· Plan ahead! Make sure to keep a calendar with all important due dates in front of your desk.
· Make goals for yourself! Having a goal makes work, regardless of how boring it is, more meaningful.
· Find a tutor! Finding a tutor that you know and trust can be revolutionary for your high school success. A tutor will help you achieve your goals and will help you learn at a much faster rate.
· Create a schedule! Set regular study and homework hours. Implementing a schedule into your daily routine will keep you accountable and prepared.
· Find a study partner! Study partners, usually your good friends, can make studying much more enjoyable and interactive.
· Designate a unique study environment! Science has proven that wherever you study should be only dedicated to studying! Never study in your bed or in your game room because you are more likely to get distracted.
· Learn how to study! Many students, especially in high school, don’t truly know how to study. Visit http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/~rapaport/howtostudy.html to learn how to study.
· Write your notes down! Writing notes, instead of typing them, can help your memory and retention of the information.
· Learn how to write! Many students, especially in high school, never learn how to write effectively. Visit http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/~rapaport/howtowrite.html for a detailed guide on how to write.
· Get involved in extracurricular activities! Sports, music, and clubs can help you make friends (potential study partners) and get experiences that look great on your resume!
Resources for academic success
· Talk to your guidance counselor! Guidance counselors are there to guide you through the trials and tribulations of high school.
· Hire a tutor! As mentioned, tutors can be game changers, especially peer tutors that you know and trust. To find out more about the advantages of peer tutoring, visit our blog What Is Peer Learning and Why Is It Important?
· Go to your teacher’s tutorial sessions (also known as office hours)! Teacher’s host these sessions to help all students that attend. Additionally, attending these sessions can help you build a connection with your teacher.
· Visit the library! Your school’s library can be an excellent study environment filled with a plethora of knowledge and resources.